You are here

Case report of CML and COVID-19, dasatinib (and imatinib) may be protective

Categories:

Really interesting case report about a patient who takes dasatinib and their recovery from COVID-19 - their husband required ICU treatment and oxygen therapy but the CML patient did not require anything more than Augmentin and paracetemol.

https://www.mjhid.org/index.php/mjhid/article/view/2020.031/3767

Hi David,

in February this year my wife who I’ve been married to for 36 years was totally flattened by some virus and had to take 2 weeks off work, she was having really bad headaches, very tired and strangely similar symptoms to what we know as covid 19 in the 2 weeks she was off I was worried I would catch it,I’ve been on Nilotinib for 5 years , i seemed to sail through this event. The wife’s absence from work was the first time she’d been off in 5 years.

Peter

Thank you for posting, David. I understand that dasatinib is a broad-based kinase inhibitor. It appears here that the inhibiting of Abl1 and Abl2 pathways may be helpful. Perhaps it is early days in the research but the early investigations do look promising.

Very interesting read. I am on Nilotinib and as far as I understand very similar (more powerful) than imatinib. It did mention it against SARS in this doc too.

Now we're talkin"!  All right!  This would please me no end - we have a superpower!