You are here

Kidney stones and infection

Hi guys! sorry, i already have one kidney stone, too much pain, but i had fever today and my pee smells so bad, i think i got an urinary infection. I got metamizole and ciprofloxacin today. I am trying to continue taking my Imatinib, but i just vomited it this last 2 days, i spoke with my doctor and he recommended me to stop the Imatinib til this infection resolves. Is that OK guys? 🥺 I am afraid of that. Any of you have to stop medication due to and infection? Please, i need orientation. By the way, is Ciprofloxacin, metamizole safe to take? may i take instead of them ceftriaxone or an aminoglucoside? and for pain, what can i take? 
Thank you for your answers, i am in my 9th month of treatment and first time with an infection, i am feeling lost, don’t know what to do.

I have been taking dasatinib non-stop for the past 3 years and i had 2 kidney stones in between. By no means is this a recommendation: Do certainly consult your dr about the safety of TKIs tiven your current condition and other medications; but at least for me i didn’t stop the TKI.

Fever, vomiting, and urinary tract infection is common with kidney stones. You may need to take some antibiotics, best to consult both your urologist and hematologist. 

Thank you Thomas, by any chance what antibiotics and analgesic did you take? any suggestion? 

Hi, I asked another doctor, he told me not to stop my medication even if i have fever or infection, only if a have too much nausea i can skip few doses, but he recommended me to continue with my pill.He said Imatinib won’t decrease or affect the inflammatory response. Otherwise my other doctor said to stop it because i have fever and infection.... i feel kind of lost, but i will continue taking my imatinib, hopefully i won’t vomit it again 🙏🏼

Hi Mil, my mom has CML, last year she has suffered from fevers due to the kidney stones too. We tried pain killers, but fevers were just recurring again and again, so in the end after consultations with the urologist and hematologist the kidney stones were removed as they were too large and could block the ureter. She did not take imatinib on some days when she had bad fevers as was simply too weak and had no appetite at all. I think you need to consult with your doctor/urologist to decide on your individual situation. I hope this helps. 

My wife has taken Stonebreaker pills and tea in the past as well as urisoidal or something to that effect. That seems to work wonders. I have witnessed how painful that can be so I hope yours resolve soon. On the subject of stopping TKI I would say that should always be a last resort unless the side effect is because of TKI. IMHO.

Hi guys, thank you all for your advices. I am feeling better now, I got an ultrasound 5 days ago and finally eliminate the kidney stones. The signs of infection had gone. The pain was terrible during that days. I will have my vit D level control next month. Thank you so much for your answers guys! 

Thread continued from: 
CML and Kidney stones