You are here

Covid-19 inhaled treatment- this is interesting

Categories:

Synairgen begins large-scale trial of inhaled COVID-19 treatment:

Southampton, UK-headquartered company Synairgen has treated the first patient in the UK as part of a global Phase III trial evaluating its inhaled COVID-19 treatment SNG001 in hospitalised patients.

SNG001 is an inhaled formulation of interferon beta-1a, a naturally occurring protein which is believed to kickstart the body’s antiviral responses.

Synairgen previously appointed Parexel Biotech to help conduct the large-scale trial, with a number of UK sites having now been initiated. Additional sites in the US and the EU are now expected to follow.

The trial – called SG018 – is being conducted in around 20 countries and will seek to enrol a total of 610 COVID-19 patients who require supplemental oxygen.  read the full article here

------------------------

Article in The Lancet journal

Safety and efficacy of inhaled nebulised interferon beta-1a (SNG001) for treatment of SARS-CoV-2 infection: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for posting this.I think what is interesting is that prior to the introduction of tki s for treatment of CML in 2001/2002 the only available treatment available of any temporary effectiveness was interferon alpha.In addition in the early days of use of tkis such as Glivec we had  interferon used on occasions as combination therapy so as to improve response;it seems to have been discontinued especially with the introduction and use of second line tkis .I believe that it had to be given by injection and the side effects were a bit unpleasant of constant flu like symptoms.

From what I have read interferons are naturally occurring in the body and when released heighten the antiviral defences;as I understand it they are a group of signalling proteins.In the context of being used for cancer treatment I guess interferon was useful in suppressing the production of excess protein at the bcr/abl region and did attempt to boost up the immune system response as well;unfortunately an indication that treatment was not working any more would have been a deteriorating PCR score.

I have read that interferon beta is used as treatment today for some patients of MS; other interferons were used in the early days of HIV treatments.

It is interesting in the context of Covid that interferon can be given via oral mucosa in the nose but also in seriously ill patients intravenously as well.

I wonder if there are any CML veterans out there who used interferon alpha as treatment or otherwise in combination with a tki such as Glivec  back early 2000 s ?

Regards

John