You are here

Covid vaccination group

Hi

I just wondered if anyone has been told that they are in group 6 of the covid vaccination group - i.e those who aged 16-64 with an underlying health condition. I've been told by my GP that NHS England have put me in this category. I wasn't sure which one I would be, although thought it would be group 4 as was asked to shield back in April but had no further communication since then. 

I'm 52 and was diagnosed 18.5 years ago so perhaps that has something to do with it but just wondered if anyone had been told the same. I don't think it will actually mean that much longer a wait as they seem to be moving through the groups pretty quickly in my area. The GP said they are coming to the end of group 3 already and considering I'm not immuno-supressed I'm happy to wait.

Thanks

Daniella

Hi,

The roll out seems to be variable and patchy across UK.In our area postcode GU care homes are now being covered but some medical staff and over 80 s  were covered before Christmas and by now some have have had 2 jabs.We are actively in to vaccinating group 3- the over 75s which commenced last week.The next roll out will be group 4  which is 70 plus and clinically extremely vulnerable;I am not sure whether CML patients would need to have registered on the gov.uk website as vulnerable in order to be in that group or not?There seems to have been some confusion here;as you say if not in Group 5 you are likely to be in Group 6.

Last week I was contacted by my GP surgery as an over 75 to go to a centre and was offered the Pfizer jab.The screening was fairly thorough in that we had to give information on any major health conditions and medication -CML and imatinib was not an issue but they were picking up on anyone with allergies and anyone on blood thinners.

The product literature was very extensive and warned of frequencies of side effects ; very common -more than 1in 10 will experience tiredness,headache,muscle pain,chills,joint pain and fever plus pain in the arm at the point of injection.Common -up to 1 in 10 will have a swollen arm redness and possibly also nausea.1 in a 100 might have swollen lymph nodes.There is a yellow card system to report unusual side effects.After 3 days or more of any troublesome side effects or any mimic of Covid like symptoms one needs to seek medical help.

I am not sure whether the possible side effects for the Oxford vaccine are similar or whatever.In addition I believe some will be contacted by letter rather than by phone.

I found very few side effects apart from a sore arm for a few days and a slight feeling of overheating of the body plus lots of fatigue;probably no worse than side effects from the flu jab.

Keep safe

John

Hi Daniella,

You should be in Group 4. Even though your doctor might feel you are not that high risk, that's the group you should be in. Your GP is the person to fix this.

The Clinically Extremely Vulnerable list includes "people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment". That includes all of us with CML, no matter what part of our treatment journey we are on.

David. 

Hi Daniela,

like David I believed at 63 I was in group 4, but after checking today it seems you’re right I’m in group six, my thinking on this new situation is, hopefully, we get through these groups ASAP plus vaccinations are going at great speeds, nearly half a million in one day, Uk, another thought is thank god we’ve got a vaccine to get. Stay safe.

Peter.

I agree with David you should be in group 4 and nothing later.

Alex

Thanks for your replies guys. I've gone back to my GP to say there may have been an error in the categorisation. I spoke to the receptionist initially so I've asked if they can double check this with the GP. I've also asked Prof Apperley at Hammersmith to see if she knows anything further. Funnily enough she is doing a voluntary stint in vaccinating today but hopefully I'll hear back soon. I'll update once I hear more in case anyone else finds the info useful.

Hi. 
I live in Warwick UK and am aged 54 with CML and have received a call today from my GP asking to go tomorrow for the vaccination. I would  imagine that you should be in the same group. 
Have you been receiving shielding letters and or texts over the last year. 
I hope you get it sorted soon. 

Mark 

That’s odd.  If you’ve received shielding letters (I’ve had quite a few between April/May and the most recent one earlier this month) you are on the clinically extremely vulnerable list, which is Group 4.  As others have said the rollout is (understandably) not 100% uniform speed wise but I think most places are doing all 4 first groups now in an overlapping way.  I had dose 1 of Pfizer on Friday (only side effect a tender arm for a couple of days) having had an appointment within 24 hours of being sent a text.  I know my GP has me on the right list so to speak - and I can see from my records online that they have recorded my vaccination.  Indeed, while I had my vaccination at a different health centre, it was my GP surgery that was essentially directing it for me.  

I was told dose 2 would be in 10-12 weeks from vaccination so will be sure to look out for a text around then.  

The most important thing tho is of course that you are on a list somewhere and will be called.  Hopefully if the current rollout rate is more or less maintained you won’t have too long to wait.  

Thank you Richard. I've just a few minutes ago had confirmation from my GP that I was in the wrong category and they have now moved me to group 4 so hopefully I will be contacted in the next week as I know they have almost done group 3 in my area. For anyone waiting to hear about an appoint, I think it's worth checking with your GP as it seems mistakes do happen with this.

Thanks

Daniella

Hi Daniella

just a quick update on vaccine situation in my area, yesterday I checked and could see confusion in categories, which,to a few of us from some of the departments we were in group 6 and in others group 4, today I’ve received my vaccine appointment for this Friday, not sure where we are in allocation now!

stay safe,

peter.

Thats great peter! I believe by definition we should be in group 4 but I see how GPs could get confused if we've had a decent long term response to TKI. I am hoping I get the call anyday now too. It is a bit of a waiting game. I am in Kent and I think we may have shortages down here but not too sure.

Take care mate.

Al

Just a quick update. I've now got an appointment for my vaccination on Saturday 6th Feb. smiley