You are here

Covid Vaccine

Has anyone here taken their covid vaccine? If so, how'd you fare? Thanks.

Hi Alaina,

I had mine last Friday, no side effects, everything fine looking forward to getting my second jab, and everyone getting through this covid nightmare.

stay safe.

Peter.

Peter, thank you for responding. Love that name!

Hi Alaina,

As an over 75 I had the Pfizer one nearly two weeks ago.The side effects seem to be minimal such as a slightly sore arm,mild headache and a little warm the day after-but no worse than what might happen after the flu jab.The screening I was given asked if I was on blood thinners and whether I was prone to any allergies.I suspect that if one had been recently dx with CML and ones bloods and especially platelets were all over the place one would need to take specific advice.

I am not sure if the AZ one has a similar side effect profile and the same very minimal effects or not.

Some of the latest studies (people vacciinated versus those not yet taking it) coming out of Israel indicate exactly as expected that the vaccine does cut down on infection levels and hopefullly a much milder response in those who after the vaccine are unfortunate enough to contract Covid.

I am told that some benefits start building up 7/14 after the first jab.The overall benefits it seems  far outweigh the very scary possibilities of becoming infected especially if one had to go into intensive care-survival rates for Covid related viral sepsis are not very high.

Go for it!

Best wishes

John

I had the AstraZeneca one. I felt slightly off-colour for about 24-36 hours from the day after the vaccine. Really not a big deal.

David.

I had Pfizer. Sore arm for a couple of days but no other side effects. Can’t wait for the second dose and wish the Gov would change their policy on the 12 week gap. 

Hi Alaina ,I had mine on Saturday ,the Pfizer vaccine .Had no side effects at all ,only had a slight bruised feeling where the jab went the next day then was ok .So if you are worried or anxious please don't be you will be fine ,Good Luck ,Denise.

Thanks for such a thorough reply, John. That's some great information.

Thanks, Denise. I really appreciate that!

Ok, great. Thanks, David. I am a little nervous, what you described does not sound so terrible.

Absolutely not terrible at all, just a little lethargic. Really no different than you might feel after a flu vaccine.

David.

I had the AstZen vaccine just over 2.5 weeks ago. No problems at all except for expected slight muscle soreness for 4 or 5 days around the vaccine site, plus feeling lethargic/tired for around 10 days... although that effect also may be because I am not going out as much as I normally do as my place of work (retail) has been closed since 19th December. 

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy. I'm so glad to hear from so many recipients. This has helped me confidently make a decision.

Hi Aliana

i had my first doze of Pfizer yesterday . No side effects so far beside slight sore arm. 
I am on Tasigna 300mg twice a day !!

regards

Hello All
I had the Oxford/AstraZeneca on Monday.. I had a bad headache the next day and felt lethargic for a few days.  My arm seems to be a bit more sorer than it did a few days ago. I’m so pleased to have had the first shot. I hope that it will give those of us living with cml some good level of protection. I did email my consultant and she could not give me any efficacy on level of protection data. Does anyone know if anyone living with cml were in any of the trials? 
It’s been a long time since I have posted. I was diagnosed in 2003, this site really helped me in those early scary days! 
kindest Regards to you all!

Michelle 

Got my first dose of Sinopharm on 1 feb.
Injection site was tender for a few days, didnt notice anything else.

Due for 2nd dose on 22 feb, will let you know

Thanks Eva. I'd like to know how the second one goes as well.

Had my vaccine on Friday last week.  Only symptoms so far have been sore arm at injection site and feeling slightly sick with more fatigue than normal.  Nice to have peace of mind 😁

I got the Astra Zeneca on Saturday morning. Felt a bit cold and shivery + headache on Saturday evening and very flat yesterday. Very sweaty overnight last night - remember what that was like from a long time ago - but pretty much back to normal today. Was told the next dose would be in 11 weeks.   

I had the AZ one a week ago.  The following day I felt a bit rough - flu-like and a bit depressed.  Then I slept for 10 hours and have been fine since.

Hi. Folks. 

I had the Pfizer vaccine a week today.  It knocked me out .  I felt terrible for 3 days. Left me feeling very depressed as well.

i am on imatinib 400 mg a day - my last PCR 0.016 diagnosed 6 years ago. 

Have had both doses of Moderna exactly 4 weeks apart.  First dose: sore arm for 2 - 3 days; slight fever, chills, and headache starting 5 - 6 hours after shot and lasting only about 4 - 5 hours.  Second dose: very sore arm for 2 - 3 days; significant chills, significant fatigue and headache starting 12 hours after shot and lasting about 36 hours. So second dose side effects much worse than first dose.  Still worth it in my opinion.

Just had my Jab this eve. I had the Oxford AZ one.
Very efficient and feels good to have had it done.

Al

Hi Philip, I am so sorry that you had a rough bout, but glad you got it out the way!

Hi Alex, I am curious how you feel the first 24 hours because I believe we are almost the same age...

Hi Olivia! Thanks for responding! I'm glad to hear your side effects were short term! I think I will brave it and take it in 2 weeks...

Hi Alastair. Were you allowed to take any medication to combat the side effects you experienced?

Hi Mick. Sounds very tolerable. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

Cmljax! Sorry to hear this. That sounds super rough. Jeeze a lou. I hope you don't have to take another for a while...

Hiya

Ok I feel absolutely awful like a flu and hangover in one. Woke up at 2am feeling fine and woke again at 6am (seems to kick in about 12 hours after jab, feeling chills and shakes (temp was fine just felt cold), body aches, headache, dizzy, lightheaded, very heavy on my feet and nausea. I am assured this is all normal but it’s a bit rough. I haven’t had flu for prob 20years so it’s a nice reminder of what that feels like. It’s worth it though am glad to have some protection. I’ll be zzzzzzzing all day today and hope to feel better tomorrow!

Al

Hi Alex,

That pretty much describes how I felt after the AZ vaccine. A day or two later I was feeling 100% again.

David.

Hi David

That’s reassuring to hear. A good sign it’s working if nothing else :-)

Thanks for your reply.

Al

Alex, I had the AZ at 11.00 Saturday morning. Saturday evening started feeling unwell. Shivery in bed then hot. Sunday felt pretty tired and not great Woke up Monday morning having sweated a lot through the night (although I slept well) and felt fine after a shower. Grand since then. Hope it is the same for you.

Thanks Alistair

Its been 24hours to the dot since my vaccine and I am feeling about 80% normal so I am well over the worst thank goodness. I hope the 2nd jab will be less intense.

Al

Yep 48hours later I am 100% normal. I started to feel almost normal at the 24hr mark. But completely fine now. Just adding here for reference for others who may have the Oxford AZ and wonder what to expect. But of course I now have my regular TKI insomnia and wide awake at 3:30am 🤣

Al

I had mine AZ two weeks ago and no problems as such.

Just a bit of a stiff muscle at the injection point that lasted for a few days.

I had the AZ jab almost two weeks ago, the following evening my leg muscles were very achy and restless but next day were back to normal. 
Nine days after the jab the area on my arm  around where the jab was given has now become slightly swollen, warm to the touch and itchy. I expected this soon after I had the jab. Has anyone else experienced this reaction?

Thanks

Diane

Yeah mine is still very slightly swollen if I roll the muscle I can feel it 9 days later. It’s defo getting better though.

My experience echoes Alex's, cmljax's and others'.  First shot, nothin'.  Second shot, whoa Nelly!  Enormous shot site pain plus other muscles, fever of 100, chills, room spinning, don't want to eat anything, just want to snooze.  Which is what I'm going to go do now!  Coming up on 24 hours and feel a smidge better.  Hopefully, after sleeping tonight, tomorrow I'll be fine.  Glad I read y'alls' comments first!

Hi Eva, 

How was your second dose? I have an emergency and have to travel to Peru. Here in Peru, the vaccine is Sinopharm, i don’t know if it is allow for us (CML patients) to use this vaccine. I couldn’t see an hematologist here, so i don’t know what to do. Thank you

No problem at all!

Go ahead and get the sinopharm if thats what is on offer. In fact all vaccines are ok for CML people, but I am also your live proof ;)

Great Eva, good to hear that from you, thank you for letting me know. Here in Peru, people say that this vaccine is not yet authorized by FDA, that was my doubt, i know people in other parts of the world are taking this vaccine, so is Sinopharm vaccine (innactivated viral vector covid vaccine) the same here in Peru that in other parts of the world? Still don’t understand that... 

Well, i will take the chance, i will get the vaccine. Thank you so much! 

There are plenty of things not passed by fda that are commonly used in Europe, having passed our standards.

In sinopharms case, its likely that it hasn't been passed by fda or Europe because the base dataset was not released for examination untill last week.

Its in use in several countries despite not being passed.

Had the Oxford Astrozenica - i'm a fit male in my mid 30's and i was bed ridden for 24 hours feeling awful. Shakes, sweating, feeling weak, sore muscles. It was awful and im dreading the 2nd dose.

My mum and dad both 65 had issues but not near as bad as mine.

Hi Alaina,

Just updating this thread. I had my 2nd AZ vaccine yesterday and feel absolutley normal today. Nothing like the 1st one thank goodness. Just wanted this info here for those that may be anxious over the 2nd jab.

Al

Thanks Alex. My 2nd AZ is booked next week, just before my birthday. I was concerned that it might make me not feel like marking the occasion (given that in Wales pubs/restaurants will be open for outside visits), but hope that I might be OK like you have been. Best. Alastair

No worries Alastair. And a early happy birthday for next week. Have a beer on me I am sure you will be fine. Alex

Here is a very interesting read involving haematology at UCLH. 

How UK doctor linked rare blood-clotting to AstraZeneca Covid jab

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/13/how-uk-doctor-marie-scul...

It is strange how now Johnson and Johnsons vaccine is having the same effect. It seems to me there is some ingredient in the Viral Vector vaccines that is the cause of the clots. My mother in law is one who is reported to have had a pulmonary embolisim (blood clot in the lung) due to the AZ vaccine. She's now on blood thinners for life because of this and strangley they say it's safe for her to have her second dose next week (Maybe because shes on thinners now)

A very rare occurance we are told and thankfully so but that doesnt help those that it effects as we have seen with our "rare" illness.

Thank you Nimbus for posting this interesting (and a bit frightening...) article.

As Alex says, doesn't help those who are amongst the 4 in a million who have the bad luck to have this side effect.

pigeon

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update and great to hear your number 2 was a breeze. I'm scheduled for my second next week and hoping for the best. I just read about your mother in law. That's scary. Glad she recovered!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the update and great to hear your number 2 was a breeze. I'm scheduled for my second next week and hoping for the best. I just read about your mother in law. That's scary. Glad she recovered!

Hi Naj,

How did you do with your second Pfizer dose?

Anyone know if the vaccine is as effective in people with CML as it is in people with no underlying medical condition?

Certain Cancer Patients at Risk of COVID-19 Vaccine Failure

4/9/2021

PITTSBURGH – People with cancer that affects the blood, bone marrow or lymph nodes are at elevated risk of COVID-19 vaccine failure, particularly those with chronic lymphocytic leukemia, according to new results from an analysis of UPMC Hillman Cancer Center patients.

The finding prompted University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and UPMC clinician-scientists to issue a cautionary statement in the preprint journal medRxiv, urging such patients and those who interact with them to take the COVID-19 vaccines available, but to continue wearing masks and practicing social distancing, even after full vaccination. They simultaneously are pursuing peer-reviewed publication of the findings.

Ghady Haidar release“As we see more national guidance allowing for unmasked gatherings among vaccinated people, clinicians should counsel their immunocompromised patients about the possibility that COVID-19 vaccines may not fully protect them against SARS-CoV-2,” said senior author Ghady Haidar, M.D., UPMC transplant infectious diseases physician and assistant professor in Pitt’s Department of Infectious Diseases. “Our results show that the odds of the vaccine producing an antibody response in people with hematologic malignancies are the equivalent of a coin flip.”

https://www.upmc.com/media/news/040921-haidar-hemonc-ab-medrxiv

Hi Bendicco,

My understanding is that they don’t know yet. In the Netherlands there currently is a clinical trial going on. The trial is for people with ‘haematological malignancies’, so not just CML (but luckily I could participate). They will research if and to what degree patients will have an immune response. Secondly they want to know how long the (if any) protection for covid will last. The study will be at least one year. 

Last link is only in Dutch, couldn’t find any explanation in English. But you could put the text through google translate if you like:). 

https://www.clinicaltrialsregister.eu/ctr-search/search?query=2021-00107...

https://www.amc.nl/web/nieuws-en-verhalen/actueel/actueel/grote-subsidie...

Thanks folks. Wish we could have definitive answers!  I was struck by the statement that right now the info is as reliable "as a coin toss!"         

Thank you Mari for letting us know about this study.

It will  be very interesting to know the results, we now just have to wait a year for those results....As you said, great for you that you are taking part in the trial. You will know for sure, to what degree you are protected, and that knowledge is so reassuring. 

Certainly better then not knowing, or rather knowing that whether we are protected or not, is "equivalent to a coin flip"

All the best,

pigeon

'Coin flip' quote seems to refer to immunocompromised patients .... if your blood test results show normal (within range) white cells etc. you would not be considered immunocompromised. CLL is a very different blood cancer to CML.

I had my first vaccine (AstraZen) on 21st January and my latest lab tests from early April show that I have developed anti-bodies from that 1st dose. 

Sandy

Thank you Sandy, I guess we just have to hope for the best, but I am sceptical.

pigeon

Wanted to mention that today (Wednesday, the 21st) will highly likely set a World Record in New Cases/day.  The current record is 845,424.

Tuesday, April 20, 2021
World 143,536,452 +825,057 3,056,926 +13,905 New Cases Increasing

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

scroll down for graphs and stats/country

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. It gave me the reassurance that I needed. I have now taken both my vaccines. No problems with the first, but probably too soon to tell for the second.