You are here

Tasigna Side effects

Categories:

I was diagnosed with CML at AKUH five months ago.
I was given Tasigna 600 mg/day, since then I am having it and this is my fifth month of medication.
Recently, I got a QBCR test and it says 0.16% MMR, but my Bilirubin direct is high. Should I be worried about the situation?
Though I had some minor side effects initially but they all went away. From a month ago I felt a skin rash and small bumps on my body. Gradually the bumps increased on my whole body and I got itchy skin. Sometimes I feel shortness of breath and Asthma type condition.f
I went to a dermatologist, and she said it is dermographism. According to her it is reaction to medicine.Then I went to my Physician, he is saying that my MMR is good, so we can not stop or change Tasigna.
What do you suggest for me to do?

And from the beginning of the medication I feel less sperms and I am unable to climax, it takes more time to climax. The ultrasound also shows less sperms.
Is Tasigna effecting on sperms could be fatal for me?
I am waiting a your response.

balajee, your BCR-ABL percentage is low, so if your side-effects are intolerable you can ask your onc to lower your Tasigna dosage, which "cmljax" did successfully early and often during his course of CML treatment (check his CML history).   by clicking on POSTS  near the top of the cmljax profile page you can read all of cmljax's posts and by clicking on COMMENT HISTORY, the same goes for cmljax's comments

Wishing you the best,
Buzz

Thanks for early reply. I asked my onc, he refused to lower dose, as he said response after four months is 0.16% which is good.
I have searched through internet, I have never seen a case of lower sperm count.
Some patients say that when they were shifted to Tasigna from other TKIs their Libido is high.
Why is this happening to me?

Don't worry about the libido issue.  You are less than 6 months from a cancer diagnosis and taking some strong chemotherapy.  Your body will adjust to the medications.  Just give it some more time for your body (and mind) to get used to what is happening to it.  I would imagine you will not be able to reduce dose until they are happy with where your numbers have leveled out - and even then it may be many months.   

My Libido was defo effected for sometime on TKI however over the last couple of years it’s normal if not better 😳… I think 80% of it is our mental state for sure and let’s face it a diagnosis puts a downer on everything (no pun intended 🤣). And having less “sperm” won’t ever be fatal for you.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I have seen many alterations to the body done by medications and is not going to end yet. Hopefully, everything will be fine. 

I was worried because I have gone through internet for searching to find a case which says about sperm count when on Tasigna. I have not found a case discussion or a paper on this side effect. Therefore I was worried about it. 

Understand that cml is a very, very, very rare disease.

What did you expect to find on the internet about a disease that affects something like 0.002% of population.

If you really want to read up, try the book The Philadelphia Chromosome or delve into a beginner medical text on Hematological Disorders.

Given that you just got a very serious diagnosis and you are still in recovery, why the focus on sperm count?