You are here

Follow-up blood test

Categories:

Hello,

I am going to get my round of blood work after my first week on Dasatinib.  What can I expect ? 

Thanks,

Jb

Hi

A weeks a little early to expect much but blood panels will start to normalise very soon over the coming couple of weeks for sure. Some of us were started on Hydroxy before TKI so that reduced our wbc and platelets somewhat. But I do know that all my levels were all within range after about 3 weeks on hydroxy and 1 week of TKI and they’ve remained perfect since being on TKI. I remember my WBC going as low as 4 in the early days and they normalised to around 7-8 which is a good sign the immune system is working as intended. It’s pretty much a given that yours will all be normal very very soon so that should bring you some comfort. TKIS are a silver bullet :-)

Al

The range for WBC, I think, differs between laboratories. Birmingham's range is 4.3 to 11.2 so my 5.36 is good.

Thanks Al. I appreciate the input.  

JB

My WBC plummeted pretty quick - which is the idea.  I remember some of my other numbers being a little fucked up but they normalized in a few weeks and the docs were never concerned. 

I am a 10 days on Dasatinib and feeling good overall with minimal side effects.  I saw the doctor yesterday who told my side effects could still manifest for a month or more. Can I expect to begin feeling worse?  When can I expect to have my first PCR BCR/ABL test? 

Thanks again,

jb

Hi. depending on where you're being seen BCR-ABL may not be a for a few months. Initial progress can be monitored by FISH (see under the testing for CML section under the "About CML" tab above) That is often used in the early days and then when levels get low the PCR test for BCR/ABL test is used. As for side effects everyone is different I'm afraid - keep in touch as anything happens and someone will be able to suggest how to manage/minimise whatever adverse side effects you have.