You are here

Tasigna/elevated liver enzymes

Categories:

Hi all,

I started Tasigna a month ago. Pretty soon after, I had constant, moderate pain in my right side. My bilirubin went up to 2.1 and my liver enzymes are rising. I had an ultrasound done to make sure there were no other issues like gallbladder problems. I was told to continue with the full dose until the enzymes go much higher. Also, to take pain pills for the side pain. Has anyone else struggled with this side effect from tasigna? It seems strange to me that I need to wait until it is way worse before we even discuss dose reduction or other options. Maybe the hope is my body will calm down and do better with the medicine in time. 

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Becca

Hi Becca,

Just read your post re. increased liver enzymes (including bilirubin) whilst on Nilotinib.

I recently was communicating with Sandy regarding my mother's experience on Nilotinib including having her gall bladder removed after being pressed by a prior hematologist to increase her dose from 200mg x 2 daily to eventually the max. dose of 400mg x 2 daily. Whilst she was on the lowest dose of 200mg x 2 daily, her BCR-ABL was progressively going down and she was doing well when initially prescribed Nilotinib. H/ever, her health deteriorated once the dose increased, especially whilst on the increased max. dose.

I like you, was very concerned about the increased liver enzymes noted in the blood tests but was told by the hematologist to increase the dose for fear of failure and/or mutations at a later date. But not long after this, my mother suffered acute pain in her abdomen. She had an ultra sound which confirmed to be an inflamed gall bladder(acute cholecystitis) that required surgery for removal. My mother had regular ultra sounds since being diagnosed with CML and her gall bladder was perfect before this episode. It is a well known fact, that Nilotinib can cause liver problems (including gall bladder) i.e. reflected as increased liver and bilirubin enzymes.

I don't know what dose you're on or what your BCR-ABL is Becca but would suggest you have another conversation with your hematologist as there is plenty of reputable research on the web about Nilotinib's side effects. As with all TKIs, with any serious side effects, it's recommended that you either have and initial dose interruption until symptoms subside and then go back to possibly a lower dose and monitor accordingly. Doses can always be adjusted at a later date depending on your tolerance levels. This might be a safer course of action? As members on this site have expressed, CML is a marathon - not a sprint and often you just have to trust your instincts and take a difference course of action. You can also seek the opinion of another hematologist if your current one won't listen to your concerns. 

My mother's 82 yrs old so you may tolerate Nilotinib better? Everyone's different. Anyway, hope this post helps?

Maria

Maria,

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I did ask for my dose to be reduced and my dr agreed to 400mg daily instead of 600mg. He is not thrilled about a dose reduction this early but agreed to a month and then test BCR ABL. Fingers crossed it is enough for me.

I especially appreciated the reminder that CML is a marathon not a sprint. I am guilty of planning my sprint to MMR right away. Maybe the dose reduction will lessen my side effects and still get me to disease management. 

I hope your mother finds a dosage that works for her without all the nasty side effects.
I appreciate you taking the time to share your mother’s experience with me. 

Beccq

Thanks Becca,

Try and focus on your quality of life whilst on any TKI drug as there are plenty of side effects that can either be avoided and/or managed with quick intervention i.e. by either changing TKI drug, dose reduction, dose interruption or taking other drugs and/or supplements to help manage the side effects.

My mother reached MMR just recently after starting her treatment in 2018 and changing hematologist. As long as your disease is stable i.e. still in chronic phase and not acute, then you're heading in the right direction. But most importantly, when you feel that something isn't right with your body, have it checked out and do some research so that you're armed with some information when discussing with your hematologist. 

You will eventually get to MMR and maybe DMR but in opinion and from what I've seen from my mother's experience, there's no point in rushing to get to any particular level, if the TKIs have caused irreversible damage to your vital organs. Quality of life in my opinion is imperative and sometimes a more slower and cautious approach is better. And use this site to ask questions also, as I've found it very helpful.

All the best.

Maria

Hi,

Also on tasigna for a year now. I have the same issue. I'm at 1.4, my pharmacist called me alarmed by the fluctuations. Mind you my doctor hasn't even brushed the subject .I  didn't know it lead to pain. I personnel think a month is too short to worry, but take another look at that dosage. I'm at 200mg and it works for me.

Hope you get better!

Thank you for your reply. I am encouraged by your success at only 200mg.  My doctor reduced my dosage to 400mg and that has made all the difference. I feel good and my liver enzymes and bilirubin are coming down. My dr is concerned that 400mg will not be a high enough dose. I have my first PCR test (since diagnosis) next month so I will see if 400mg is enough for me.

thanks!

Rebecca, when it comes to lessening side-effects, nothing even comes close to reducing dosage.  Almost all CML patients do fine on reduced dosage so not to worry.  Keep any remaining 150's handy for your next dosage reduction.

Thank you. I found it very helpful to read your posts about dose reduction before I asked my dr.