You are here

Arthroscopic surgery

Categories:

Afternoon all.

It's been a while since I've been on here so I hope you're all keeping well.

Just a bit of random question for you all.

I'm due to have arthroscopic surgery on my knee in the next few weeks (football injury 🙄). Just wondering if anyone else has had similar since having CML and if/how it affected your recovery?

Cheers all, Jay.

Hi

I've been on imatinib for over 17 years, currently on 200mg per day. I had a full hip replacement in 2022. I was advised to stop my imatinib a couple of days before the op, and not restart for the 4 weeks I was on an anticoagulant as they could interact, and/or have an adverse impact on healing. My BCR ABL was still undetectable at the next test a few weeks later. May not be an issue for an arthroscopic procedure.

Hope that helps

Not quite the same, but I had a fairly substantial laparoscopic surgery some years back. I was advised to continue to take my TKI, and it didn’t cause any problem.

David.

Alistair,
The key issue here I believe is that you were on an anticoagulant and apparently some blood thinners will potentiate imatinib and also imatinib will potentiate the thinner which can heighten the risk of bleeding and slow healing as you indicate.
I understand that being on a tki in itself would not expose any greater risk when surgical procedures are being undertaken
John