You are here

Neuropathy and Imatinib

Categories:

Has anyone experienced peripheral neuropathy or restless leg syndrome from imatinib?

Hi
I have been on imatinib for 17 years and have for many years suffered non diabetic peripheral neuropathy .This has been accompanied by muscular cramps at night so nightimes are are not a very restful time with interrupted sleep and having to get out and stretch and walk.
I have seen a neurologist and have had nerve conduction studies and basically I have no reflexes left in my knees and nerve endings in the feet are declining-I was told it is mild but slightly progressive.
You can try extra magnesium supplement and also check your Vit D and calcium levels perhaps.Stretching in the day and walking help a little but basically there is nothing that one can do to counter the problem.The machines that act as vibrators to the feet and /or push electric pulses through may give some relief -available on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Some will say go on to another tki but nilotinib has a fasting regime and would be very detrimental to my atrial fibrilation issue;dasatinib would for me would no doubt lead to pleural effusions as one lung has an historical issue.
At night whilst lying down trying to sleep I have restless feet problems .
The literature does not cite it as a major side effect of this tki but it does affect some patients it seems.
If you take a statin as well the combination with imatinib might exaggerate the problem-pravastatin is the best to take alongside a tki;other statins in themselves may well cause muscle inflammation(myositis) and are best avoided.
Every tki will have some issues for an individual patient so we have to live with these.
I trust that this helps
Regards
John