You are here

Price of Generic Drug is just 10% of the Cost- Rafaye

I have resubmitted this post as a new one as the thread that Rafaye posted on was over a year old.
Sandy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,

The price of generic imatinib 400mg in india is around Rs300 (i.e comes around $6 US Dollars). The actual gleevec comes around $60 here. Since the patent doesn't apply in India many manufacturers are giving imatinib for less cost.

This generic drugs are only used in india and even at the fraction of cost it is not affordable to people here since most medical insurances do not cover cost of the drug.

The patent expiration would surely bring down the prices on imatinib.

by the way, Is the imatinib medication covered in UK, AUS and other countries??

Regards
Refaye

Rafaye, in the UK the cost of medication is covered by the NHS - regarding CML drugs. Imatinib 400mg is first line therapy and has been approved as such since 2003. Nilotinib and dasatinib have just been through the approval process for 1st line therapy. Unfortunately, dasatinib was not given approval because of cost. Nilotinib was approved because the manufacturer offered a discounted price to the UK health authority, through a patient access scheme. So nilobinib and standard dose imatinib are available as both 1st and 2nd line therapy. We are hoping that dasatinib will eventually be discounted by its manufacturer in a similar manner which will mean it would be available for 1st line (but not second line). Meanwhile, if patients need access to dasatinib (and some do) their doctor can apply for payment from a fund set up by the present government call the CDF or cancer drugs fund. But individual clinicians need to apply for this on behalf of there patients.

Most European countries have similar National Health systems, but differ from the UK as most are (I think) based on some kind of insurance payment.
Most have some kind of welfare back up should people not be able to pay for expensive treatments, but I am not sure of the individual systems.

Australia has a health system based on insurance and some element of 'co-pay'. But I am not sure of the details.

In the USA the situation is different to the UK as people must rely on health insurance plans via the workplace. There is I think also an element of co-pay.
If they do not have insurance through work, or they lose their job , then they are in a very very difficult situation.
Members of this forum who are based in the US can correct me on the details as I am not overly familiar with the details of the system.

In other regions of the world CML patients can apply to the Max Foundation for GIPAP (glivec international patient access programme) which assesses a persons income and if it falls below a certain level they might be eligible for donation of imatinib from the foundation.

Generic imatinib is available in India, but as you say, even that is beyond many people's ability to pay. Access to effective therapy remains distressingly unequal.

Best wishes,
Sandy

Hi
In Australia we have a similar system to the English one. Gleevec, Tasigna and Sprycel are all covered by our Pharmaceutical Health Scheme.

Regards
Gerry

I am planning an extended trip to Australia around 6months. So would it be better to stock up on the medication from india itself? Or would they prohibit bringing the drug from india since its patent protected.

Refaye

I doubt there would be an issue with Patent, but if you are taking more than 3 months worth of medication you will need to declare it. Contact your local Australin Embassy to find out exactly what you need to do.

"Important note: If you are residing or visiting Australia for 3 months or longer and require ongoing medications, it is advisable that you visit an Australian medical practitioner to obtain your prescriptions. If you are intending to have your medications sent through the mail or via courier, import permits will be required prior to importing the medications. It is recommended that you enquire about the import procedures before you arrive in Australia."