You are here

How often between PCR tests

Categories:

Hi everyone, I've been on Gleevec since 2005 and have been undetectable since. Only 3 times over a couple of years my numbers went up a little but back to 0.00 on the next test. I have the PCR done every 3 months but was wondering if that is necessary or can I go longer? I also just got a call from a lab that told me that my dr. office called and said I need to schedule a MUGA test. My dr. never told me anything like that and I haven't had any problems, why would I need that?

Thanks.

Suggest you phone your doctor and ask rather than second guessing.

I did call the dr. but he is not in until Thursday, I was just wondering what everyone else thought until I hear back. Thanks for the reply though.

After reaching MMR an below I was about to change to 6 monthly PCR's, I am at the Queen Elizabeth hospital Birmingham, UK. So yes seems some are longer than 3 months, but 3 is the normal generally

It would be so nice to go every 6 months. Thank you.

I've been on Glivec since 2009 and for the first year had blood tests and check ups every three months.  After that I changed to every six and continued this way until March 2015.  I had a new consultant and dropped from 400 to 300mg and he wanted to see me every 3 months to keep an eye on things. He said three is the norm but if the results are consistently good I don't see the need to go so often.   I've been 0.000 for the last year so am now back on a blood test every three months but a check up every six. 

Did anyone ever have to take that MUGA test for the heart?

Not because of imatanib.  But I do know that some chemo can cause heart problems.   Not so far as I'm aware the TKI's though.

I have had one and because I had total body irradiation and a mass of industrial cytotoxic chemicals in the olden days.

But you need to ask your medical team.   Don't you have a point of contact for when your consultant isn't available?

Or did you mean it's come from your GP?    You said "Doctor" so I'm not sure who you meant.

However IF I was offered a MUGA scan I'd take it and wouldn't really care about the reasons why unless I had a sense I'd a consultant who was concerned about something that they'd not bothered to share with me.  In that case I'd have the scan and also have an open and honest conversation about doctor patient relationship and openness and trust etc.

MUGA scans are usually for those who have had radiotherapy to the chest, spine or upper abdomen or those who have had a stem cell transplant or certain 'chemotherapies'. I had to have a MUGA scan before my SCT in 2003... this was to check that my ventricles were pumping blood effectively- - personally I would have refused it had it not been part of the transplant protocol.  

You can more find info here: 

http://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/diagnosing-cancer/tests-and...

Does your doctor (GP?) think you may have developed cardio effects from taking one of the 2nd Gen TKI therapies such as nilotinib or ponatinib? Or is he/she just being needlessly over-cautious? You need to ask why you need this test.

Sandy

Hello.

I have been tested every 3 months up until now, but after 4 years of CML, and being in MMR for the last 3 years, i am now having pcr tests done every 6 months.

Good luck to you.