You are here

Elevated Lactate Dehydrogenase Test (LDH)

Categories:

Hi all. Just got my 12 month results (PCR of 0.256%). I've been on Sprycel 100 mg for the past year and not quite meeting the 0.1% goal. I guess I am a slower responder. Previous results were: 94% at diagnosis, 3.8% at 3 months, 1.07% at 6 months, 0.55% at 9 months, and now 0.256% at 12 months. All in IS. I also received results for LDH that show a jump to an elevated value of 266 U/L. I am not familiar with LDH, other than reading it indicates tissue damage. I'm just wondering if this value is something to be concerned about? I have my follow up meeting with my doctor in February, but would prefer not to wait that long wondering what this means.

Hi. The most important thing for you right now is the trend in your PCR which has been continually falling.  There are hares and there are turtles and while it feels better at the time to be a hare, it doesn't matter in the long run as long as you continue to go down.  There are lots of people on this site that were turtles that are just fine many years later (MMR or better). I know it's hard but hang in there and trust in the trend.

Regarding LDH, mine was high at diagnosis (356) but got to the normal range within 2 weeks of starting my TKI.  Your level isn't all that high, but I would discuss with your doctor.

Hi Ian,

Looking back at some of my lab results, it looks like the "normal" range for LDH is 110 to 250. Your result is barely above high normal so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd ask your doctor about it for curiousity's sake. When I was diagnosed my LDH was 939 U/L.

Did you do anything strenuous before your blood draw? Your LDH level may have been increased by it. Here's a link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5548155/

Kirk

Thank you for the responses. I didn't do anything too strenuous before the test, but as I read more about LDH I am starting to think that it could be influenced by a cold I've been fighting for the past week. It looks like maybe infections can lead to higher LDH levels?