You are here

Rouleaux in blood

Categories:

Hi everyone

It's been a long time since I've posted last and, despite complications, my CML is well controlled with my latest PCR test showing 0.033% and MMR on 400mg imatinib.  However, there is something worrying that has shown up on the last two blood tests and I wonder whether anyone has had experience with this.

The issue is that they have discovered "rouleaux" in my FBC - this apparently happens when red blood cells clump up in a kind of poker chip formation instead of being loose like they are supposed to be.  I have really struggled to find anything on the internet about this phenomenon and all the websites say that it is an indicator that there is increased protein in the blood, such as fibrogen or immunoglobulin.  All the websites say that this is a normal finding in horses and pigs, but a "non-specific indicator" of multiple myeloma.  Since I'm not a horse, I'm very concerned about the second possibility.  At the same time, I'm aware that imatinib plays havoc with the proteins in the blood, so perhaps it can mess around with the concentrations of other proteins. 

These two blood tests were taken as part of a venesection procedure for another condition, haemachromotisis, and therefore they haven't gone to the oncologist.  I have just seen them because they appeared on the FBC on two consecutive occasions, three months apart, and I am wondering whether they are cause for alarm.  My next appointment with the oncologist is only on 31 July and I don't know whether I should ask for it to be brought forward.

So my question is: has anyone ever had these "rouleaux" show up in their blood?

Thank you and kind regards

Martin