You are here

Curcumin

I read that some papers about curcumin and cancer had to be retracted. Anybody knows what happened? And more importantly, is it still worth for CMLers to take it? Thanks.

I am bumping my question about curcumin and CML. Thank you for your help.

I think curcumin is a great addition to my diet. I have tumeric virtually every morning with milk and oatmeal. I consume it for overall health and it is part of my approach to a whole life style.

I don't think tumeric alone will cure Cml, but I see it as an enhancement.to my body.

Have you heard of the golden milk recipe?

Best,

The papers that were retracted were by a scientist specializing in the use of Curcumin in cancer treatment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Aggarwal

He was overly enthusiastic about Curcumin's properties and claims. Despite the bad press, Curcumin does seem to have strong medicinal properties as reported by other credible scientists. Curcumin does down-regulate genetic pathways known to be cancer promoting. And it does have strong anti-inflammatory properties (e.g. for arthritis). Curcumin is no cure, but may help TKI's be more effective. Once I started taking Curcumin, I noticed my PCR's started to fall faster and my arthritis disappeared. If I was magically cured of CML, I would still take Curcumin. It is like eating veggies. It's good for your body.

Hi Scuba,

I want to get started with Curcumin. I take imatinib 200mg a day. Have had CML for 20 months and have achieved MMR. My arthritis is increasingly bad, especially in my legs and feet. I will have another knee replaced in November. 
I am interested in the curcumin because I am trying to decrease my use of ibuprofen and tylenol.

I found several brands that are 1000 mg of curcumin wiht 6 mg of piperazine. Does this sound like a good starting point? Or should I start with a lower dose? I have been reading the forum and it seems that most people are taking 2-6 grams a day.

Any suggestions/information/ thoughts are welcome.

MMR on only 200 mg imatinib is excellent.

Curcumin is poorly absorbed by the body even with piperine (pepper). It takes a lot of Curcumin to be effective. But it does work if the dose is high enough. I take a minimum of 2 grams per day. Often I take twice that amount (4 grams). In the early days, I took 8 grams per day, but once I became undetected, I lowered my dose (for cost saving). If I lose response, I'll increase my dose again.

Anything less than 2 grams is likely not to be effective.

It helps to take Curcumin with food that has some fat. It helps with absorption.