You are here

Beyond TKIs?

Categories:

Hi everyone, 

31 year old father of one here.  I've been on nilotinib/Tasigna since 2016 and got a pretty good response to it (to start off with).  I even managed to get beyond MMR4 in 2019 on a few occasions.  Unfortunately since then, the numbers have been going the wrong way and my most recent level was 0.016%, or roughly MMR 3.8

It's still not quite at the level where my doctors are considering doing anything different, so we're just monitoring.  I must admit I'm quite worried, even though I know that fluctuation often happens with blood tests.  I think if things were to carry on going the wrong way, my haematologist would consider changing me onto dasatinib or one of the other TKIs

Has anybody had any experience with combination therapies? I'm particularly interested in peg-interferon...I've recently seen the results from the SPIRIT trial which came out in January which showed that the combination of imatinib and peginterferon seems to be better at reducing the numbers than imatinib by itself.  The actual life expectancy data seems to show no statistical difference, but I think that's because TKIs are so good at keeping people alive that adding extra therapy doesnt make a difference.  I think peg-interferon used to be a treatment for CML before TKIs were invented, so there may be people in this forum who used to take them

Reason I'm interested is that obviously I'm on the younger side and so I'm nervous that the cancer will mutate at some point and perhaps the interferon will reduce the chances of that happening.  Nobody really knows what happens when you've taken TKIs for 20 years because they haven't been around that long...

I did ask my haematologist if they ever use this in real life, and he was a little dismissive (it was a registrar, not a consultant, so perhaps he was just being evasive because he didn't feel he knew the answer)

To cut a long story short, has anyone tried peg-interferon either by itself or in combination with a TKI in a trial? 

You have nothing to worry about clinically no difference between 0.016% and MR4. If you start to loose MMR altogether I'd say thats when to start worrying, but even then as long as you remain in CCYR then thats great too. On paper none of us like any "uptick" but as long as you stay below 0.1% MMR3 I dont see any reason to worry and any good doctor should have the same outlook. The goal of TKI is to get you to MMR and that is MMR3 not MMR4 or MMR5. If it does great if it doesn't no big deal is the way I look at it. If you do get rises at every single test then it could be a sign of resistance or a mutation though so I am not dismissing anything. Can you post what your last 4 PCR results are?

I have a CML friend who was MMR 4.5 and then went to MMR3 for a few tests and the last one hes back down further into MMR4.5. Thats the nature of this beast it keeps you on the seat of your pants if you let it.