You are here

Question!

So in the beginning of my so called CML journey I was put Imatinib 400 mg. I was so hungry gained 15 pounds uggg. Now I eat once a day, and can’t eat anymore! Is this normal?

This is not normal. But several parameters could be in play. Is it possible you initially planned on the once a day thing as a weight control and have a sufficiently big meal to keep you satisfied all day?

No, I try to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I feel bloated after breakfast, and just am not hungry all day. 

If you continue to feel bloated and lack appetite I should get advice from your Dr however I can easily relate to your description of feeling hungry all the time and putting on weight while taking Imatinib this happened to me partly probably because I had had an enlarged spleen which restricted appetite and as it shrunk I got hungrier and ate more put on 1 1/2 stone in first 2 years on Imatinib took me another 2 to get rid of the extra weight.  Never underestimate how much imatinib  messes up the digestive system.  My consultant told me I was unusual and most people had "a little nausea " which disappeared after a few weeks the implication I was making a fuss having nausea & occasionally vomiting after taking the 400mcg tablet etc . Fortunately I went home for 6 months and in my home country they talk about side effects much more and they put me on imatinib in 3 x 100 mcg tablets 1 after each meal .  They were not delighted about this regime when I returned to the UK but I achieved MMR just the same.

Hi Lisa,

You could also try eating smaller meals but more often throughout the day. This way you do not overload your stomach and it may help. Another way might be to change the kinds of foods you eat, a lot of processed foods can cause digestive problems. I am not sure what your general diet is, but reducing sugar and processed carbs often helps. If you eat fruit, then try to eat apart from other foods as a separate meal. 

On thing that always helps me if I ever feel bloated is a glass of water (I prefer naturally sparkling) with a small shot (tsp) of Apple Cider Vinegar. 

Hope this is helpful,

Sandy

That is similar to what I experienced. About a week or two into treatment I became insanely hungry like when I was a teenager. It lasted for about 2-3 weeks and then began to taper back off to what I feel was a normal appetite. Keep in mind I had not felt hunger leading up to diagnosis for about 2 years. So being hungry was great and now (6 months into treatment) I would say I have a normal healthy appetite.  I had a very sharp decline in my BCR/ABL1 when I started Sprycel. I attribute the spike in hunger to the initial attack of the leukemia and your body realizing it’s going to need to replace blood cells and marrow.  Your not alone   :)