You are here

Oedema on Imatinib

Categories:

Hi all

I am newly diagnosed with CML and have been taking 300mg of Imatinib for four weeks. Two weeks ago my eyes and lower legs started to get oedema and I’ve put on two pounds. The oedema is not very noticeable, except to me. Under my eyes are puffy and my legs feel tight. 

I don’t want to take diuretics. I read we can manage this through diet. What does everyone think or have experienced? Does anything worK? My oncologist said massage doesn’t work. 

The under eye stuff is pretty common on imatanib and probably for other tkis too

Its very early days at 4 weeks, wait till you have hematologial response at least, maybe even MMR before thinking about cosmetic issues. Your body may take time to adjust to TKIs.

In younger patients, i believe cosmetic surgery is the only option to get rid of tki under eye oedema.

Hi Thanks for this. It’s isn’t cosmetic, it’s a side effect of the drug. My bloods have reduced from 50 to 4.8, so they’re working, which is good!

Yes i understand.

I meant that the eye odema is a cosmetic side effect of the TKI, its not dangerous nor will it impact your health or eye function in any way.

Im not sure of which scale your doc is using for your bloods ( seems to be different in each country). If you were diagnosed with 50,000 wbc per microliter that's very good news , as its very early in the progression of the disease.

Hi, 

Yes, bloods have reduced from that amount to 4.8!  All good. 

PD

Hi

Has your oedema improved. I started getting it under my eyes but last few weeks it’s mostly my eyelids. 

was just wondering if you have found ways to manage it. 

thanks 

Hi Evie

After it first flared up it settled down. It’s worse when I wake up on my eyelids and under my eyes. After a couple of hours it disappears from my eyelids and just above my cheeks it settles but it’s still there. It looks like badly administered dermal filler. I think I’m more sensitive to how it looks. 

I’ve been using an anti puffiness eye cream which seems to work a little. I was reading about the effectiveness of eye creams with caffeine and the use of old tea bags but I don’t know whether these remedies work for our type of oedema.

Keep in touch. 

PD