You are here

Management of chronic myeloid leukemia in 2023 – common ground and common sense

Categories:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41408-023-00823-9

Hi!

Above is a link to the latest thoughts on CML treatment by the most prominent experts from MD Anderson. A very reassuring article.

For me the most relevant is the conclusions that the clinical guidelines for the past two decades may need to revised and the clinical significance or clinical impact of treatment milestones may be slightly over-rated. People do well with less than optimal responses and too easily switching may do more harm than good.

And there are many other interesting points to read as well.

Regards
Timo

Wow Timo

This has to be one of the best and most promising articles that I have read.

Extremely positive information and I am
Glad they’re finally realising a lot of what we all already knew!

Alex

Excellent summary of what has been known for quite some time regarding CML management, dose levels and TKI's.

In regard to dasatinib, from the paper:

"The TKI dosing is more flexible than has been described in the registration trials, and dose adjustments can be considered both in the frontline and later-line settings (e.g., dasatinib 50 mg frontline therapy; dose adjusted schedules of bosutinib and ponatinib), as well as during an ongoing TKI therapy to manage toxicities, before considering changing the TKI."

Any doctor prescribing 100 mg dasatinib as a starting dose is woefully out of date and potentially doing harm to their patients. This is why knowing your doctors training as well as what research hospital they are associated is important to getting up to date care.

One terribly depressing observation I have of this is that while dose modification is entirely sensible, there is absolutely zero incentive for a pharmaceutical company to play along with this.

It even gets down to the point that while ponatinib is indicated with a starting dose of 45mg, everyone knows 15mg is really the place to start. But Takeda can’t say it, they can only “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” to suggest it. I think even legally that they can’t suggest starting below the approved indicated dose, and the sensible doctors prescribing 15mg are doing to “off label”.

If BMS argues that 50mg of dasatinib was actually better all round than 100mg, they are leaving money on the table because charges are milligram based not amount of doses based.

I don’t have a neat answer, but drug development needs to be incentivised to the best outcome for the patient not just how much they can sell. Maybe a manufacturer should be paid just as much for a patient in MMR who takes 20mg as for one who takes 140mg. I am sure this isn’t the answer, but you know where I am getting at.

I have long held the opinion that dose optimisation is more important than TFR because there is a much much bigger cohort of patients who could benefit.

David.

I had a related discussion with my consultant haematologist today. Many of you will remember that after many years on 400mg imatinib, I reduced to 200mg for 12 months and then stopped. My TFR attempt lasted 17 months; I went back on to 400 mg, regained MMR and then reduced to 200mg again, and I remain undetectable 18 months later. He uses me as an example to patients who are nervous of reducing TKI dose; these people tend to worry that he is motivated by trying to save money on the drugs. I am sure his recommendations are about reducing toxicicty and side effects while maintaining MMR in patients. David's proposal on outcome based charging regime would negate this concern in patients - can we start something here?

The pricing of drugs is a dark art as many of us have experienced. But in my discussions with pharma companies (at the business level), drugs (TKI's, etc.) are not priced by the 'milligram'. The cost of a 100 mg subscription vs a 50 mg subscription is the same in so far as there is a recognition that buying 100 mg enables someone to get "two 50 mg" out of it, so a patient is better off getting the 100 mg prescription and getting twice the amount for a 50 mg use. This is what pharmaco's are concerned about. So in a way, David's point is very valid. This is also why pharma company's price these drugs such that the incentive to buy 100 mg for a 50 mg prescription costs more. It disincentivizes purchasers from doing this.

By the way, manufacturing cost for our TKI's is pennies per pill. The cost difference to manufacture 50 mg vs 100 mg is near zero. The cost to the pharma company is in the research discovery, translational chemistry, development and clinical trials (safety & efficacy) of the drug. The cost of manufacture in comparison is very low.

Whether a patient is prescribed 100 mg., 50 mg 20 mg of a drug doesn't really matter to the pharmaco. All they care about is that the prescription follows clinical trial protocol so they are not held liable.

The prices in the UK are quite clear*, and they escalate pretty linearly with dose:

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/dasatinib/medicinal-forms/

*it’s not actually quite as simple as this, but it’s representative.