You are here

Latest PCR test results - do low blood counts persist indefinitely?

Categories:

Hello! Just got my latest results (dx April 2017, so this is 27 months out):

BCR/ABL1 of b3a2 Type: 0.011%

International Scale Ratio: 0.0154% = MMR

WBC 3.3 (should be at least 4.5)

RBC 3.39 (should be at least 4.2)

HGB 11.3 (should be at least 12)

platelet count went way up in 3 months, from 151 last time to 248!

Still taking 400 mg Imatinib, still getting blood work every 3 months. Doc says stay the course, and that seems fine. But I do wonder if low blood counts will persist indefinitely.

Justine - My numbers stayed lower than yours for the entire time I was on Gleevec (2 years), but started to improve immediately upon switching to Sprycel.  This could've been just due to timing - many people see their numbers normalize after a couple of years.  I tend to think it was the Sprycel, of course.wink  They continued to improve over the years (10 total, 8 on Sprycel) and I often get "perfect" lab results now, albeit on the tippy tippy bottom end of the normal range.  Even if yours never change, they are truly all right.  The docs don't get their shorts in a knot unless they are WAY lower than where you are.  The platelets number is probably transient - I think it depends on where they are currently sequestered - in the spleen or out in the bloodstream.  At any rate, it's fine.

I have counts like you. My doc says that it is a new normal for me and to not fret. Congrats on your bcr-abl score. Nice.

I have counts like you. My doc says that it is a new normal for me and to not fret. Congrats on your bcr-abl score. Nice.

Thanks, appreciate the reassurance. It's great that Sprycel has worked so well for you!

Thanks, good to know, appreciate that! Take good care.