You are here

Do you ever feel ‘normal’ on TKIs

Categories:

I posted a while back - diagnosed at the beginning of December and couldn’t stomach Imatinib. Switched to Dasatinib - took one does of 500mg and face blew up like a suet pudding!! Couldn’t open my mouth and pain from the neck up! Didn’t take another dose. Switched to Bosutinib 300mg. Tried to increase to 500 and was violently sick. Have reduced to 100 for 7 days now increasing to 200 - day 2 of this and chest pains. Breathing through that but crikey it’s tough!! Looking forward to being able to take a full dose and not be either throwing up or suffering chest pain! I know I just have to get on with it - just need to vent!!!

Blimey on 500mg Dasatinib I am not surprised are you sure that number is correct? If so you’ve been prescribed 5 times the required does which is 100mg and that in itself has been shown to be too high.

I’ve been on Nilotinib for 3 years almost to the day and I’d say it’s a new normal as symptoms do persist. I do have days and moments where I can feel “strange”, but I often wonder if that’s all in my head or not.

Life certainly does return to a more normal once you’ve reached all required milestones. I felt good being in CCYR and I feel great mentally being now in MMR.

It just takes time to heal emotionally, mentally and physically. It’ll come for you too. But normal I am not sure I know what that is lol. Even though my symptoms are manageable I’d welcome the day when I don’t have them. But we must remember our life does come at a price and that unfortunately is TKI toxicity. But I prefer that over the alternative anyday.

Al

Hi Victoria,

Dasatinib was approved for use in USA in 2006 by FDA and the recommended dose for chronic phase CML was 100 mg daily ;for accelerated and blast phase 140 mg.So I suggest someone is seriously over-prescribing or you are mistaking the dose that should be taken.I think tablets come in 20,50,100 and 140 mg sizes? I am sure that you should be on 100 or 50 mg not 500.

Looking at the product literature for Imatinib the suggested starting dose for this dose is 400mg.The maximum suggested/allowed is 800mg daily but only very rarely is the is level of dose given.Some trials a while back in Australia found that a good proportion of those on imatinib 800mg had to discontinue due to severe side effects.Some while back I for some reason lost MMR and was for two years put on 600mg imatinib-it was not so easy on the digestive track and the facial/eye swelling was much greater but it worked.There were some days of dreadful nausea and vomiting but had to stick with it.

Most haematologists will inform you that targeted molecular therapy of tki s is in terms of side effects relatively mild compared to other forms of chemotherapy and a lot more convenient and very easy compared to interferon alpha (previous treatment before tki s).

My way of looking at the situation is to undertake some form of personal risk analysis which is a personal balancing act.For most people who take tkis for CML the benefits of quality of life far outweigh the disbenefits-if one is not treated then one will not survive for long.I have concluded that I have to find a way of managing to take just one pill a day (different for Nilotinib) every day;with experiment one can find the right time of day and with certain foods and so on (nilotinib involves  fasting).In order to minimise my dreadful night cramps and peripheral neuropathy I have cut out inflammatory foods and do specific exercises.

There are other factors one has to take account of such as other co- conditions of health and ones age so it is quite difficult to attribute everything to side effects from a tki.One thing that is quite difficult to deal with are the psychological aspects of ilness;I found that the first six months after dx were tough but over time one gets use to some of the side effects.Many other illnesses have much tougher treatment regimes and a very great impact on quality of life and life expectancy.

I hope that you will be able to find a way to carry on with your treatment.

Best wishes

John

Victoria

I think is it life on Bosutinib that you wanted to know about.  I started on Nilotinib but had to come off almost imediately as it knocked my platelets. I was on Imatinib for a year or so but progress was slow. The consultant then had me on Dasatinib - made good progress until it suddenly wiped out my platelets to the extent I had to have transfusions. Then moved onto Bosutinib but they started my on 500mg - I was very sick and it hit liver function.  They tried my on 400mg and 300mg and the same problems.  Although at that time 200mg was below the recommendation that's what I was put on and I've now been on that dosage for 5 years.  I take one Granistetron tablet daily for nausea although I think I could manage without it if I had to.

So yes, I have found it possible to feel completely normal on Bosutinib and ABL-BCR reliably better than log 3 reduction for 3 years.

Hope you do find that the side effects reduce.

Thanks John - it was definitely 500mg and came in single 500mg tablets. I didn’t take more than one as seriously it caused horrific swelling of my entire face. Im on Bosutinib now and building up slowly in the hope of being able to manage one of these TKIs!!

all the best and thank you for bothering to reply - it’s helps!!

victoria

Thank you! That’s interesting that you are managing on 200mg. I have taken four days of 200 and managing ok ‘ish’. I have read research papers discussing ‘personalisation’ of dose and shocked my consultant a little when I told him I would try and work out what works for me. I’ve altered my eating pattern to accommodate the drugs and will persevere - what choice is there!? I haven’t yet had antiemetics but that might help too. 
Thank you for your insight - it helps!!

victoria

Thank you! That’s interesting that you are managing on 200mg. I have taken four days of 200 and managing ok ‘ish’. I have read research papers discussing ‘personalisation’ of dose and shocked my consultant a little when I told him I would try and work out what works for me. I’ve altered my eating pattern to accommodate the drugs and will persevere - what choice is there!? I haven’t yet had antiemetics but that might help too. 
Thank you for your insight - it helps!!

victoria

Thanks Al that’s helpful. You’re not the only person to say 500 of Dasatinib is way too high.... what was he thinking?! No wonder he sounded panicked when I called the clinic to tell him what impact it had.......

all the very best

victoria

Maybe you already do this, however:

As rough as it may seem to imagine, I've found that rigorous exercise helps the absolute most with side effects like headaches, fatigue and aches. If you haven't, drag yourself to a gym, pop some Excedrin-( or your preference ) and get yourself winded for at least 1/2 an hour and reap the good feelings.

Maybe you already do this, however:

As rough as it may seem to imagine, I've found that rigorous exercise helps the absolute most with side effects like headaches, fatigue and aches. If you haven't, drag yourself to a gym, pop some Excedrin-( or your preference ) and get yourself winded for at least 1/2 an hour and reap the good feelings.

I was diagnosed back in Feb 19... already well advanced and had to spend a week in hospital as my spleen tripled in size, very painful and it took me 2-3 months to get full movement back in my stomach area without wincing every time I moved. Started on 400mg Imatinib on diagnosis, 18 months later Consultant moved me to Dasatinib as whilst I was stable and felt well was not improving. Felt awful on Dasatinib and after a month developed fluid on my lungs ( a known side affect) and had to stop treatment altogether for a couple of weeks until the fluid drained away naturally. Went back on Imatinib and upped dosage to 600mg.. felt well again but still stuck at 5% whilst after nearly 2 years consultant wanted me below 1%. Have now just started Bosutinib at 500mg. Only been a few days and have the common ailment of “the runs” but its controllable and only felt a bit queasy on the first day. 

Did feel pretty “normal” whilst on Imatinib but sadly it was not improving on my long term diagnosis..  my first post and very interesting to hear other peoples stories. Good to find this forum and to be able to interact with others on the same journey. 

Hi, sorry you are having a hard time ,what dose were you on with Dasatinib?

Thank you but I’m fine really... the side affects are tolerable and the alternative is not at all desirable.. I’m not quite sure, will have to check the paperwork as I don't haven any of the old boxes left.. cannot remember the dose off the top of my head. 

Might have been 100 mg if you had fluid , bet you would have felt fine on 50 mg better than you felt on imatinib if you had been given the chance . 

Victoria, sorry to hear about your fight with this new diagnosis. First the bad news, once your docs get it under control - and they will - you will probably never feel truly "normal" again. A few say that they do and that this disease is a walk in the park. Good for them. But taking the TKI will cause side effects. Some will dissipate over time, and others can be treated with medicine or OTCs, but fatigue, gastro-intestinal, insominia and some other side effects may not ever go away.

The good news is that unlike pre-2001, this disease will not kill you. You will discover a new normal and will enjoy life again and can expect to live a long time. 

I am switching in one day to Bosutinib. I hope I don’t have any issues. 

Ive now been on it for 18th months at 500g a day..  to be honest I feel good on it, always take them with a meal, I find breakfast time good.. if you do get the runs then persist as it will improve…Dave. 

I'm not sure if this is helpful but after 5 years on tkis (imatanib in my case), I'm on trial tfr since Nov 2021. Since march 2022 i feel achy all the time, so it would seem that life without tkis doesn't feel normal either.

Mostly though, im happy to be living a normal life...hope things settle down for you.

If my understanding is correct- the doctor who prescribed you 500mg Dasatinib  daily should lose their Dr’s license. No idea where he/she got the idea of such dosage, the maximum dosage that can be prescribed is 140mg, but its becoming a more common practice to prescribe 50mg, with patients achieving similar results who take the standard 100mg.

If you have the chance try changing the centre your being treated in, alternatively if you have any concerns about the consultants suggestions or decision; Hammersmith are offering a great service for both patients and clinicians, which allow them to ask any questions related to cml and get advice.

https://cmlsupport.org.uk/asktheexpert?amp

If my understanding is correct- the doctor who prescribed you 500mg Dasatinib daily should lose their Dr’s license. No idea where he/she got the idea of such dosage, the maximum dosage that can be prescribed is 140mg, but its becoming a more common practice to prescribe 50mg, with patients achieving similar results who take the standard 100mg.

If you have the chance try changing the centre your being treated in, alternatively if you have any concerns about the consultants suggestions or decision; Hammersmith are offering a great service for both patients and clinicians, which allow them to ask any questions related to cml and get advice.

https://cmlsupport.org.uk/asktheexpert?amp

Thread continued from: 
Recently Diagnosed with CML