You are here

Plateau in results, need guidance

My son is 17 and has had almost the same results in PCR-ABL since July 2021. We just got back his third report since July 2021 and his results are 0.217% on Imatinib 400.
What does this mean for his treatment? Is a medicine change recommendeded? He is 50kg and 5"8'. The doctor is recommending Bosutinib. Please advice. Any advice is appreciated

Hi, it is possible that your son is finding it difficult to adhere to daily medication with imatinib. Has his doctor taken this into account? It is difficult (and understandable) particularly for young people, to adhere to the regime of daily therapy.

Before changing to another TKI you might want to make sure your son understands the importance of adherence to TKI therapy and the danger over time of missing even 3 daily doses per month.

However, if he does take 400mg IM as prescribed, then he may well see some benefit from a change in TKI. I am not sure why his doctor is recommending bosutinib, but it is to my knowledge a good option. 

Having said that, the good news is that despite the apparent plateau in his BCR/ABL % from his latest (3rd) PCR result, he does have responsive disease. 0.2% is not a bad place to be and if he has a good quality of life in spite of  taking imatinib then it may well be worth waiting for another PCR test result to see if it is a genuine plateau or if he will -given a little more Tim e- see a further drop downwards. 

I hope this is helpful, Sandy

Hi Sandy!

Thanks for your reply. My son takes his medicines diligently. He does, however, have thalassemia minor trait along with CML. His Hb is 10 currently. His iron levels are also slightly on the higher side. This could possibly be the reason for his Bosutinib prescription. We are yet to visit the doctor since we just got the results yesterday.We don't have the final prescription yet.

Are there any alternative suppliments or medicines that I should look into for better results if he were to stay on imatinib for the next 3 months ?

Thanks.

I should mention that he is 15 months into his treatment for CML. He has taken imatinib 400. His dose was increased to imatinib 800 for a month and reduced back to 400. His results have been 0.2% since shifting back on 400mg.

Good to hear is is consistent in taking his TKi. Thalassemia is obviously a complicating factor for him. I am sure his doctor is looking at his particular needs but it will obviously be good to see him/her for a face to face consultation (not sure if this is possible given Covid restrictions?) so you can discuss the choices he has in detail. Maybe his doctor would be happy to wait until the next PCR result? 

However, you say he did take 800mg IM at one point, so was this dose the one that got him down below CCyR? (0.2%). It's quite a high dose so I assume his quality of life was affected which is why he is back down to 400mg? Nevertheless he is holding the molecular response which is good news.

In general - even if he does opt for a change in TKI - it is good to supplement his diet (hopefully wholefood/mediterranean) with vitamins and minerals. You have probably read a lot of posts here about supplementing with D3/K2 as well as Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium and Fish Oils (omega 3) Vit E, full spectrum B Vitamins. Obviously not iron. 

You might also want to take advantage of the offer from Hammersmith (Imperial College) CML experts and ask for advice in his case. See pinned post above for 'Ask About CML' email address.

Sandy

Hi,

I am in an identical position and found the information in the following link very helpful to understand the models and why I should not have been so worried as we have a good reading. Naturally you will be concerned for your child and receive good advice on all the options available to reach a deep response, and whether giving Imatinib a bit longer is preferred or not.

https://doi.org/10.3324/haematol.2019.240739

Best of luck on your follow-up.

Thanks Sandy and Rosa for your quick replies.

His BCR/ABL results went from 100% to 2.6% (approx) to 0.9%(approx) on 400mg imatinib. After these results, he shifted to 800mg for a month which resulted in 0.2% but naturally caused a lot of side effects which is why we had to discontinue and shift to 400mg again. Since then his reports have been 0.2% approx.
I think he responded pretty well on 400mg but it has been difficult for him to respond after the dose change. I'm not sure why the doctor increased the dose but now the question is if we should take a chance and stay on imatinib or go for Bosutinib which obviously has more side effects and is relatively new.

No problem and I can only echo Sandy's words on the valuable link which has been made to the CML experts in Hammersmith to whom I have leaned on myself recently for some advice on my own situation and they are best placed to guide you.

Rgs

ssss, at levels below 1.0, CML presents no real danger to a patient's health.  One of the biggest mistakes oncs/hemas make is to prescribe a super-high TKI dosage, when CML is below 1.0, in an effort to drive CML lower, which most often results in more danger to the patient from the TKI itself.

Typically, when in a plateau, CML will drift lower with time regardless of dosage.  Having said that, Bosutinib is known to have numerous side-effects and patients are often first started on a lower dosage to gauge their reaction to it.  if it is decided to put your son on Bosutinib it should be at a lower dosage, i.e. 300mg to see his reaction.  It may well prove that Bosutinib 300mg, or even lower, is sufficient to suppress his CML.

Please post your son's test dates and results over his 17 months of treatment.  Thanks in advance.

Buzz

Thanks for your helpful reply. I will definitely post updates. Hopefully the doctor starts him on a lower dosage.

Hi, I'm also have talassemia beta trait, hemoglobin around 10 (used to be around 12,5 before CML-Imatinib) and a slight increase of iron in the body. Since March, 2018 on Imatinib 400 gr. and currently getting great PCRq results (varying between undetected and MR 4,0).

To avoid a higher increase in iron I only moderate my consumption of red meat (up to 3 times per week) together with dairy and/or coffee. Mild side effects of Imatinib specially fatigue and small areas with hyperpigmentation. Hopefully, I will try a reduction of Imatinib after my March, 2022 PCR test.

Hi all,

My son's doctor suggested dasatinib 100 instead of bosutinib.
Hopefully he has no side effects with this.
We will be doing an IRMA test tomorrow just to be sure of imatinib resistance. But the doctor did say that he will be switching to dasatinib no matter the results in hopes of 0% bcr abl.